To Maintain Certification - For each CM cycle, an ABIH® Diplomate agrees to:
- Practice Ethically
- Pay Annual Fees
- Submit an acceptable CM Worksheet or Pass the Exam
- Submit Audit Records (if CMW is audited)
New CIHs - Get started with these key resources
- Orientation Webinars - A 3 part series, providing an overview of everything you need to know
- CM Primer – Overview document of requirements and best practices
All CIHs - Six areas you should explore further
- My Account – Check your worksheet due date, make payments, etc
- Program Elements – Options for managing a CM cycle
- CM Categories – Rules and proof-of-participation records for each Category
- CM Program Changes – Key changes during the last 5 years
- CM FAQ – Common questions; they are FAQ for a reason!
- CM Credit for Educational Events – Documents and webinars to explain the method
An ABIH Diplomate is a person who has met the qualifications for education, experience, and examination; and, has continued to meet the obligations for maintaining certification. A Diplomate maintains their certification by passing the examination or by submitting an acceptable CM worksheet every 5 years. The CM cycle length is based on the assumption that the knowledge and skills to be a professional-level industrial hygienist evolve over time but do not change radically from year-to-year. This approach is also consistent with the CIH® Job Analysis which is done every 5-7 years and used to identify the current knowledge and skills possessed by a professional level industrial hygienist with three to four years of broad scope professional level practice.
The purpose of the Certification Maintenance (CM) program, which began in 1979, is to ensure that Diplomates develop and enhance their professional-level industrial hygiene knowledge and skills during the time period that they are certified by ABIH.
The CM program primarily emphasizes technical advancement but does make allowances for some professional development activities when there is an environment, safety or health aspect. Generic career skills development or career advancement may occur as a result of being a Diplomate but it is not a focus area for the ABIH CM program.
Each Diplomate receives a wallet card annually upon request; has access to the private roster; and, is allowed to use their ABIH-awarded certification terms:
- Certified Industrial Hygienist® or CIH®
- Certified Associate Industrial Hygienist® or CAIH®
The above terms are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as is the ABIH logo and the terms American Board of Industrial Hygiene and ABIH.