- CM Credit in Category 4 - Education
- CM Worksheets and CM Audits
- CM Cycle - Extensions, Leave of Absence and Voluntary Surrender
1. How do I calculate CM credit for an educational event?
2. Where can I find Category 4 CM approval numbers?
CM approvals were issued by ABIH prior to December 2011 but they are not needed on the CM worksheets for any event, past or future. To find a previous approval, search the online database.
3. Does the AIHce, PCIH or their PDCs receive CM credit?
Yes. CM credit for these conferences and course are calculated in the same way as any other event that meets the ABIH CM credit criteria. See Calculating CM Credit.
4. Which courses have blanket approval?
Blanket Approval is a term that is no longer in use. Any course which meets the ABIH CM credit criteria is eligible for CM credit. See Calculating CM Credit.
5. What qualifies for IH CM credit?
See CM Areas.
6. Are safety and management activities eligible for CM credit?
Safety events receive CM credit in Category 4..
General management training receives CM credit if completed before January 1, 2010. Management events are capped at 30 hours (5 points) per event.
After January 1, 2010, general management training receives IH CM credit if the event includes EH&S aspects (e.g. case studies) as part of the training.
7. Does academic coursework or a Graduate degree receive CM credit?
8. Where do I find the key changes to the CM program?
Key changes are chronologically summarized.
9. What are the restrictions on the CM worksheet in Category 4?
See Category 4.
10. Do I need CM approval numbers before submitting my worksheet?
No. CM approval numbers are not required for any event.
11. I passed the exam, when does my CM cycle begin?
See the CM schedule.
CM points can only be accrued during your CM cycle start/stop dates unless you've been granted a CM cycle extension.
12. When are CM worksheets due? When is my CMW due?
To check your worksheet due date, log in to the Diplomate Services Menu. You'll need your ABIH ID number (as listed on your dues receipt). Note - the ID# is not your certification number.
13. What is the CM worksheet process?
See CM By Worksheet.
14. What are the minimum requirements for CM credit?
See the Minimum Requirements.
15. What is the maximum credit for the worksheet categories?
|Category||Maximum Pts per Cycle|
|1. Active IH Practice||
CIH. 3 pts/yr; 15 pts total
CAIH. 2 pts/year, 10 pts total
|2. Committee Service||5 pts total,
Some restrictions based on position. See Category 2.
|4. Educational Programs||
30 IH Ethics hours (5 pts)
30 Management hours (5 pts)
|5. Teaching||20 pts|
|6. ABIH Exam||40 pts|
|7. Other Activities||Some restrictions, see Category 7.|
16. How can I accrue CM credit on a restricted travel budget?
Volunteer your time as mentor or for pro-bono work, or by submitting questions for the CIH exam (Category 7)
17. How do I apply for CM points in Category 7 - Other?
Category 7 is reserved for activities that do not logically fall within Category 1-6. A complete listing is maintained at Category 7.
If your activity is not listed, contact ABIH before submitting your CMW. Your activity may or may not be accepted for CM points.
18. Do I get CM points for my other professional certifications?
Yes for some - see Category 7. You can only claim the CM credit if you passed the certification during your CM cycle. No CM points are awarded for maintaining your other professional certifications.
19. Can I retake the exam to meet my CM requirements?
Yes, see CM By Examination.
20. What happens when selected for an audit?
See CM Audit.
21. Can I get an extension to my CM cycle?
For hardship cases, ABIH offers two programs, the CM Cycle Extension and the Leave of Absence.
22. What the key differences between and a Cycle Extension and a Leave Of Absence?
The extension adds 6 months to a CM cycle. Additional CM credit can be earned during the 6 month extension.
The LAO reduces the minimum CM credit requirements during the CM cycle but does not change the CM cycle end date. The LOA periods can last from 1-2 years.
23. Can my certification be revoked?
Yes, see Decertification.
24. My certification was revoked because my worksheet was inadequate. Can I submit a late CMW?
Yes. See Reactivation.
25. Can I retake the exam if I've lost my certification?
Yes. See Reactivation.
26. What happened to the CIH (Ret) option?
ABIH discontinued the classification of CIH (Ret) in 2011 when the Voluntary Surrender program was launched. All former CIH (Ret) were converted to voluntary surrenders.
The term CIH (Ret) or any of its various forms can no longer be used. Former Diplomates are allowed to refer to their certification designation when showing the years of active certification, e.g. John Smyth, CIH, 1987-2006.
Some former Diplomates are still listed in the ABIH roster unless they chose to opt out.
27. Can I voluntarily surrender my certification?
Yes, see Voluntary Surrender.
Do this by submitting the Submittal Form for Voluntary Surrender.
28. I voluntarily surrendered my certification or I previously retired, can I reinstate?
Yes. See Reactivation.
29. What is the "ethics requirement" and what qualifies for IH Ethics CM points?
Diplomates who recertify by CM worksheet must acrue a minimum of 2 IH Ethics hours (0.33 points) over the CM cycle. This can be done in separate sessions that cumulatively total 2 hours.
To better understand the types of subjects that qualify, see the ethics CM Area.
30. Where can I find ethics training?
There are numerous sources for ethics training. Your company's internal ethics training may qualify. If your company does not offer ethics training, 3rd party providers can be used.
Ethics courses which have been awarded CM credit can be found in the CM Activity Database.
31. I'm ethical already, why do we need an ethics requirement?
The new ethics requirement was intended to get everyone thinking and talking about ethical behavior and practices, not only in themselves but also in the decisions and actions of others. You may be ethical. Your job may require you to be ethical but what about all the others in your profession?
Since 2008, AIHA, ACGIH, ABIH and the AIH’s Joint IH Ethics Education Committee (JIHEEC) have been leading efforts to raise the level of awareness for ethics concerns. To reinforce the importance of ethics, it was agreed that ABIH would administer and enforce an ethics requirement for the IH profession. In November 2008, the ABIH Board of Directors passed a motion to implement the new ethics requirements for all new applicants and future CM cycles.
This was a joint, proactive effort by the IH profession to raise awareness through self-regulation.
32. How do I get a replacement certificate or a new CIH lapel pin?
Submit a request paying the $10.00 fee. The replacement certificate most likely will not have the signatures found on your original.
33. How long do I need to maintain my CM records?
See Records Retention.
34. How do I align my CM cycle with my CSP?
1. Log In at My Account.
2. Follow the bullet point link named "Check your CM Due Date - Also used for CSP Alignment".
3. Print or save the web page with your CIH information. The page is titled "CM Cycle End Date and CM Worksheet Due Date".
4. Mail or scan/email your ABIH information to BSCP.
35. This is all too complex, is there a simplified version of the CM program?
Yes, see the CM Primer.